how to add vdisk to ldom
Environment : Solaris 10/VxVM for Volume Management/Hitachi Storage/Control Domain Primary & Secondary Domain configured for availability
If you are using Control Domains in your environment as many application or database still prefer to use Solaris environment for its robustness and suitability specially oracle database based applications . You might be getting request to expand file system used in CDOM.
We are going to discuss in this article about how to present new disk from CDOM to LDOM and have request fulfilled. We are more focused here about procedure at CDOM server which we need to perform to present new disk from CDOM to LDOM . Once disk is presented to LDOM it acts as normal disk assigned to standard Solaris environment.
Example: We are adding two new disk aka LUN and we will present it to LDOM from CDOM to understand the entire process.
Considering the fact that you have already placed request to storage team to allocate LUN of required size to expand file system as per request on CDOM and access to specified LDOM.
You have confirmation from storage team they have assigned requested storage with device ID “01e1 and 01e2” .Background storage system is Hitachi.
Procedure at CDOM
1. Login to Control Domain with elevated privilege like root level. 2. Scan storage on CDOM using below # cfgadm –al |egrep “fabric” # cfgadm –c configure <controller> - You can refer fibre channel from previous step. 3. # echo | format - Disk will be visible to OS now. 4. # vxdctl enable - Veritas will scan new lun in VxVM. 5. # vxdisk -eo alldgs list |egrep "01e2|01e1” tagmastore-usp0_01e1 auto - - nolabel c1t50060E8012A20E0Bd84s2 lun fc tagmastore-usp0_01e2 auto - - nolabel c1t50060E8012A20E1Bd85s2 lun fc In this step you can see disks as nolabel. 6.# format and label new disks assigned. 7.# vxdctl enable - Veritas will re-scan lun with label. 8. Initialize new LUN # /etc/vx//bin/vxdisksetup -i tagmastore-usp0_01e1 # /etc/vx//bin/vxdisksetup -i tagmastore-usp0_01e2 9. Validate Disk Details it becomes online to get it assigned to LDOM. # vxdisk -eo alldgs list |egrep "01e2|01e1” tagmastore-usp0_01e1 auto:cdsdisk - - online c1t50060E8012A20E0Bd84s2 lun fc tagmastore-usp0_01e2 auto:cdsdisk - - online c1t50060E8012A20E1Bd85s2 lun fc 10. Now we will assign new virtual device to domain and then add virtual disk to LDOM. Save this output to validate disk assigned to your LDOM as of now. # ldm ls –o disk |grep <LDOMNAME> 11. Adding Virtual Device to Domains Please remember you need to assign disk to Primary and Secondary Domain as well. # ldm add-vdsdev /dev/vx/dmp/tagmastore-usp0_01e1 [email protected] # ldm add-vdsdev /dev/vx/dmp/tagmastore-usp0_01e2 [email protected] # ldm add-vdsdev /dev/vx/dmp/tagmastore-usp0_01e1 [email protected] # ldm add-vdsdev /dev/vx/dmp/tagmastore-usp0_01e2 [email protected] 12. Adding Virtual Disk to LDOM # ldm add-vdisk usp0_01e1-p1 [email protected] <LDOMNAME> # ldm add-vdisk usp0_01e2-p1 [email protected] <LDOMNAME> # ldm add-vdisk usp0_01e1-p2 [email protected] <LDOMNAME> # ldm add-vdisk usp0_01e2-p2 [email protected] <LDOMNAME> 13. Validation # ldm ls -o disk <LDOMNAME> |egrep "01e1|01e2" usp0_01e1-p1 [email protected] 111 [email protected] primary usp0_01e2-p1 [email protected] 112 [email protected] primary usp0_01e1-p2 [email protected] 115 [email protected] secondary usp0_01e2-p2 [email protected] 116 [email protected] secondary See above output it will show new disk is assigned to primary and secondary domain. # ldm ls –o disk |grep <LDOMNAME> It will display device is assigned to specified LDOM. 14.Now you can login to LDOM and configure LUN and expand volume using standard procedure as standalone hosts. Related Post
- How to Check Linux OS Version
- What is Inodes in Linux
- how to remove files and directory on linux and unix
- how to unencapsulate rootdisk in vxvm
- vxdg disk group import failed with no valid log copies
- how to fix service group autodisabled in vcs
- how to fix failover service group in vcs
- how to restart vxconfigd manually in vcs