How to setup & configure ASR in AZURE
ASR service in AZURE provides business continuity and disaster recovery solution by keeping business apps up and running, during scheduled or unscheduled breakdowns. ASR manages disaster recovery of on-premises machines and Azure virtual machines , including replication, failover, and recovery.We are going to discuss here about how to setup and configure ASR in Azure by replicating it to a different Azure region .
Focus will be on AZURE-to-AZURE. There are Pre-requisites you need to meet like below to allow you to configure ASR successfully.You may have this configured already for your subscription or organization if it is not the first setup you are doing.
A) Site Recovery vault need to be created.
- Login to the Azure portal ==> Recovery Services.
- Click Create a resource ==> Management Tools ==> Backup and Site Recovery.
- In Name, specify a friendly name to identify the vault. You can set standard for naming convention based on location to remember it conveniently.
- Create a resource group or select an existing one. Specify an Azure region.
- To quickly access the vault from the dashboard, click Pin to dashboard and then click Create.
- Remember each RSV needs a local cache storage account.
B).Prepare VM hosts for ASR configuration
Create proxy settings for VM’s
For Linux :Create a file “/usr/local/InMage/config/ProxyInfo.conf” with the following information.
For Windows :C:\ProgramData\Microsoft Azure Site Recovery\Config
Note: Where Address is the proxy host name (needs to be reachable by host). ASR mobility agent supports only unauthenticated proxies.
How to enable replication for a Azure VM
1. Log in to the Azure portal at https://portal.azure.com with required privilege role like VM Contributor and Site Recovery Contributor Role.
2.Click on Recovery Services Vaults from Dashboard. It will display all the RSV configured for your subscriptions. You need to select the appropriate one based on where you want to replicate your VM.
3.You will get below screen where you have to select Replicate.
4.You will get below configuration wizard where you need to provide source details, virtual machines and replication settings.
Source -> Azure Location -> East US2 or Central US Deployment model -> Resource Manager Subscription -> Your subscription Resource Group -> Your RSG
Virtual Machine : Select the virtual machine which you want to replicate.
Replication Settings: Target Location and details. When selecting disks, verify they match source disk type (Premium vs Standard), Cache disk.
Finally Enable Replication
Job gets started to enable replication for the VM. Monitor the job progress till completion.
This is all about how to setup and configure DR in AZURE or how to setup and configure ASR in AZURE.